After a long day of writing for this blog, planning my schedule for the new semester and working on a project (more about that in tomorrow’s post), dear Fabiola’s nomination to another award was just what I needed.
Make sure to check out her blog, with lots of interesting articles about Mexico and delicious recipes!
What dreams mean to me
A dream might have different meanings for each individual. I would like to shortly explain what dreams mean to me.
I started taking ballet classes when I was 4 years old. I was always thin and my joints where very flexible, which is good for a dancer. However, as my spine was crooked and my hips were uneven, I was never able to raise my legs as high as the other girls, or doing the splits and jumping as high. One day, I forced my leg as high as I could and my whole lower back went into spasm for two days. I cried a lot and kept asking my dear aunt (who passed away 2 years ago), a pediatrics, when I would be able to move without being in pain. I went to numerous physiotherapists and religiously did the exercises they prescribed, but none of them seemed to be effective.
So, what I did instead was dream. I was always looking forward to sleep because in my dreams, I was dancing, everyone was admiring me and I was happy and pain-free. Another thing I did to distract myself from the pain was reading. First, it was in german but once I started taking english classes, I also read english books. I would come home from school, do my homework and then start reading. In my dreams, I would see myself as a character in the books, chasing my dreams and making them come true.
Nowadays, I am still a big dreamer. However, I know now that I can make my dreams come true. They are not just beautiful scenarios I see in my sleep, I can make them become reality. The fact that I have overcome my scoliosis issues and that my muscle imbalances are decreasing significantly, has been my biggest motivation to keep chasing my dreams.
I have so many things on my mind that I would like to accomplish in the future. I try to stay realistic of course. In fact, I really don’t have that big expectations. However, in the past 2 months many things have changed and I can see my future clearly now. I am looking forward to make my dreams come true and never stop dreaming!
I should add, this was not part of the nomination for the award. I was just inspired to share my personal story, I hope you don’t mind.
Rules for this award
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back.
- Post the award badge and rules.
- Tell 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the question that were set for you to answer.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and set questions for them.
11 Facts about myself
- I love watching TV shows in english: I am currently watching Grey’s Anatomy, Vampire Diaries, The Big Bang Theory.
- My favorite Tv show of all times is Friends, close second is Scrubs. In fact, it might be about time to watch them all over again!
- When I meet someone new, I am very shy at first. I have tried to get over this but I guess this is just who I am. If I like that person, my personality can change literally in 2 seconds and I start making jokes and talk a LOT. People are often surprised by that 😀
- I never wear heels. I just can’t walk properly in them. Maybe it is because I have been into sports my whole life and my walking style is too “athletic”. Or maybe it has to do with my uneven hips and spine, it just makes me feel very uncomfortable to wear heals. Oh, and it might also be my first anatomy class where our professor showed us beautiful pictures of women wearing heels and the deviations it caused on foot anatomy.
- I love using smileys. I fact, I always want to put a smiley on the end of each sentence. This wouldn’t be an issue in a blogging post but I guess it would be pretty inappropriate in my more scientific posts… (trying not to put a smiley here)
- I do not use any cremes for skin care. I have carrot oil, which I use for my face and almond oil for my hair. Sometimes U use body lotion but in general, I stay away from cremes. My skin is very sensitive and I couldn’t find a brand that makes my skin glow as the carrot oil does.
- I love powdered red pepper. I put it on top of everything that is not sweet: rice, salmon, vegetables … I also love powdered tomatoes.
- I love healing stones. Not necessarily because I believe in their healing abilities but because I think they are beautiful. In fact, I bought two necklaces from a designer in California and got them shipped to my sister, who lives in CA. She then sent them to me.
- I make my own arm bracelets. There was also a time when I made little animals and flowers out of pearls.
- I never sit when I am on the train. Every day when I have to get to the university clinic, I travel per train for 40 minutes. I never sit because the seats are hard and it makes me sleepy. Instead, I take out a book and read.
- I would love to learn to play the violin. In fact, my sister has started taking classes for two months now and I am so jealous. I hope I will have time for that in the future.
My answers to Fabiola’s questions
1. What inspired you to start your blog?
The beautiful people of the Fitnessblender App. Everyone shares their stories, food and workouts there. I started doing that in July and by August I already had 400 followers. They asked me to start a blog and share my nutritional and fitness advice and I listened 🙂
2. How do you find inspiration for your posts?
I read a lot on sports and nutritional science. Right now I don’t have as much time for reading as in the summer but I have been collecting a lot of information in the last 5 years, so I always have topics to write about. In fact, I have 15 drafts on WordPress and 30 more topics on my phone.
3. What do you like most about blogging?
The feedback I get. Every like, each positive comment makes my day. I put a lot of effort into the articles, especially the more scientific ones. When I started this blog, I tried to keep the posts more simple but in the last articles I am including more medical / scientific facts. In fact, I noticed my reader like the scientific posts, so I will keep doing that for future posts.
4. What is the most challenging thing about blogging?
Finding the time to write. I don’t find it challenging to blog about my life, which I do once a week (Sunday Reflections). However, the other posts where I include fitness or nutritional advice are more challenging because I try to make them easy to understand but still contain valuable information. However, I will not be able to post those articles as frequently in the future, as my schedule for the next semester is crazy.
5. How do you find the motivation to keep blogging?
Especially in these last weeks I received a lot of positive feedback from people who have started using my workouts or nutritional advice. It makes ma so happy to help other people and I cannot believe that I might have an impact on another person’s health.
6. Could you share one blogging tip that you’ve found useful?
I think to be a successful blogger, not matter your niche, you need be passionate about what you write. It can be a review, a recipe, anything but as long as the reader feels that you enjoy blogging, every post you write will be a success.
7. What is one thing about blogging that you still don’t get?
Promoting your blog. I am trying to learn more about that and social media is very powerful.
8. Do you prefer a keyboard or a pen and paper?
Keyboard. I love writing on a paper too but a keyboard is a faster way to express my thoughts.
9. What is your favorite motto or quote?
10. What are you most passionate about?
Health. I guess this is obvious. Prevention of diseases, injuries, illnesses.
11. What is a goal you hope to accomplish this year?
Starting my doctoral thesis, trying to learn as much as I can in my last year of medical school!
My questions for the new nominees
In fact, I loves the questions Fabiola had to answer and would love to read my nominee’s answers to them! I hope that’s not against the rules.
- Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
- For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
- What’s the best book you’ve read this year?
- What’s your favorite song at the moment?
- If you were to eat only one dish until you die, what would you choose?
- Have you ever danced in the rain?
- What cheers you up?
- What’s your favorite word?
- Who is your hero?
- If you could bring one musician back from the dead, who would it be and why?
- What animal best represents you and why?
And here are the new nominees
Congratulations to all nominees and hope you keep chasing your dreams!
Wish you all a wonderful Saturday, see you at tomorrow’s “Sunday Reflections”.