Fitness and Food is our Medicine – but sometimes you need Supplements for health and well-being.
Not all of us have the perks of living on a farm and most of the produce we buy is not entirely “pure”. While it is possible to get enough micronutrients from a whole-food diet – organic or not – in some cases, such as autoimmune diseases, hormonal imbalances, or, if you train really hard and cut calories to lose weight, supplements for health are needed.
What matters is that we know what we put in our body and only use what we cannot replace fully with our diet. You will never find a promotion of “weight loss magic pills” on this site. Instead, I will share my personal supplements, why I use them and help you find out whether you may need them as well.
If you use some of my links, I will get a small commission from your purchase. This does not cause you additional costs but helps me cover this blog’s maintenance fees. As always, I only promote products I have used for at least a year and that have been proven to have health benefits. All opinions shared are my own and will always be. After all, I am running this blog to share my knowledge on health and medicine with you and don’t see it as a business.
My Supplements for Health
I have tested many “organic protein sources”, especially those with the label “organic”. In fact, most of those brands are not actually tested and just give themselves that name. MyProtein has received multiple rewards for food safety and they manufacture all their products themselves (which is why they are so low in price). I am using these products myself and for my family and have seen great effects on my well-being.
- Favorite Protein Powder of all time: ISO Pro 97 by MyProtein in chocolate or strawberry flavor: This Protein is made from Milk and not Soy and has a higher amino acid content than other Protein Powders. Also, it is completely lactose-free. It is not overly sweetened and mixes really well. It also keeps me full and satisfied.
- Whey Protein Isolate by MyProtein: Favorite Flavors: Chocolate Smooth & Cinnamon Danish & Salted Caramel
- Active Women Vegan Blend: This protein is very special because it contains many vitamins and minerals to boost your immune system and increase fat burning too. It does not taste like sand and does not contain soy as well. It is very creamy and easy on the stomach. I like to switch between this and ISO Pro to have a variety of protein sources.
I use Protein powder once-twice a day: Once in my morning oats (25g) and once in the evening as part of my protein pancakes!
You don’t have to use Protein Powder at all but I prefer not to eat meat/fish/chicken more than once a day and I don’t eat dairy other than Whey Protein as well.
Workout & Performance Supplements
The following supplements are not necessary as well. But I take them because they help me fuel my body for my workouts and recover properly. Even if you don’t take a protein powder, I highly suggest trying out BCAA’s (branched chain amino aids). Chances are, you are not getting enough of the essential amino acids in your diet. If you have been eating well but lacking progress, you should definitely add this to your regimen.
(I take these on Training & Non-Training Days)
- BCAA’s: Amino acids are the fundamental blocks of protein. Taking these is very light on the stomach and does not cause any production of intestinal acids. The amino acids get right into our blood stream and to our muscles, heart and all cells in the body. Every cell in our body needs these to function properly.
- Acetyl L-Carnitin: This is found in our body. L-Carnitin helps transport fatty acids from our mitochondria into our cells where they can be used to produce ATP (energy). This is a natural fat burner and the only one I recommend (other than coffee, green tea and spicy food).
Supplements for General Health
The following are supplements I take every single day for general health. It might look like a lot but if you have as many food intolerances as me, you need to supplement to get enough vitamins. Also, I am currently studying really hard for med school and my body needs extra fuel. Generally, I recommend the following supplements for anyone:
- Vitamin D: This is essential as we are not able to convert the ProVitamin D that is built in our body and waits to be activated in our skin by the sun. Make sure to choose a supplement with Vitamin D3 and store it at a cool place. I take 2500 UI per day but you can take up to 10.000 per day. Make sure to consult your doctor and get a blood test done before starting to take Vitamin D. You don’t want to overdose on this!
- Calcium & K2: Always take these two together. K2 will make sure Calcium will get right to your bones. Calcium supplementation is recommend for each individual over 50 or if you are lifting heavy weights. I take 500mg/day. If you are over 50, you should take more than that.
- Omega 3 : Healthy fats help us lose fat, boost our immune system, keep our heart and liver healthy and help flush out toxins in our body. This is absolutely necessary for each individual!
- Zinc & Vitamin C: Boost your Immune system with this combo. Always take zinc and vitamin C together!
- CLA : Not absolutely necessary; CLA is a healthy fat that seems to enhance fat loss and building muscle at the same time. I have noticed I lean out much quicker or build muscle more easily without gaining body fat when using this consistently. It is also really good for heart health.
- Cholin & Inositol (not all the time): Not absolutely necessary. Cholin is part of Acetylcholin, which is a Neurotransmitter and helps carry information from one cell to the other. It is crucial for proper brain function and muscle contraction. It also helps you sleep better and recover.
- Collagen (not all the time): I don’t take this all the time but it has helped be build stronger ligaments and improves skin too.
- Joint support
I take superfoods on a daily basis to get as many vitamins and micronutrients as possible. Since doing so, I have noticed better performance not only in the gym but also in daily life. I have better mood, my sleep has improved and I have more mental clarity. Also, some of these contain a probiotic too so they help with proper digestion and reduce bloating as well.
- Greens Powder
- Goji Berries
- Acai Powder